Sunday, June 27, 2010

Movie Reviews, Gay Pride and More

As of this moment, I'm guessing half of Manila's gay population is painting the town rainbow at Malate's White Party. I, on the other hand, have just started puting my things in boxes. We have to move before the month ends. But let's reserve the details for another blog entry.

Like I was saying, tonight is Pride Night. Since I'm obviously absent from the festivities, let me just share with you instead three gay-themed movies I've seen this past week out of boredom.


Who can honestly say he/she watched this movie and enjoyed it? Sure, the nudity was a little interesting. But it's definitely not enough to save the movie from the terrible acting which reminded me of lousy class drama skits during grade school. I have a theory this Jeff Luna has a speech defect.

The scoring is also forced. What a waste of time that was.


Chub Chaser is a refereshing break from all the sexually charged local, gay-themed, indie films. It's nothing ground breaking but I like how it's different from the rest of the movies in the same genre.

The plot is like the gay version of 'Shallow Hal'. It mirrors the truth and is very entertaining at the same time. I particularly find the BFF of the protagonist very amusing. He hits comedic notes flawlessly and effortlessly. On the opposite side of the spectrum is Jeff Luna who happens to be in this movie as well. Thankfully, he doesn't have that many lines.

I'm not saying this is an excellent film. But it's worth watching.


This isn't exactly your typical gay-themed movie but according to my research, this movie made quite a buzz for its homoerotic insinuations. It even got banned if I'm not mistaken.

Now I don't care if this movie is critically acclaimed. I was yawning half the time I was watching it. I'm not sure if it's the flawed subtitles, but it's just not for me. It does provide a raw insight though of the life of the Red Army's new recruits.


I was planning on saving my opinions about SATC 2 for a separate blog entry. But I changed my mind after watching the movie.

First of all, the city in 'Sex and the City 2' is not NYC. It's Abu fucking Dhabi. The idea of the girls traveling to such a conservative country on the other side of the world is so exciting. I just wish they didn't dwell on it so much. I consider New York City as the fifth lead character you know.

The director should be shot for treating SATC 2 like a Leslie Nielsen flick. Gawd. I couldn't stand how cheesy some of the scenes are.

Also, I thought Noah Mills would play an important character in the movie. It turns out he's just one of Samantha's boys. The gay wedding is fantastic though. It's uber fagulous! Just like the wardrobe. Save for the hobo bags, Patricia Field did a great job.

I'm quite disappointed with the movie. It would have been great if there was more depth to the plot. I was expecting it to be as touching as the first one. Ah, expectations.

Anyway, here's to gay pride... respect, equality, good health, good sex and love!


literarybulimia@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment