Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Lip Balm Review

Six months ago, I started taking Isotretinoin for my skin. It's very effective and I swear by it. It works by reducing the sweat glands which leads to severe skin drying as a side effect. The worst happens in the lips though.

While my skin gets better, my lips get extremely chapped to the point of bleeding. I am not kidding. Seriously, it's like Sahara desert dry and I have witnesses to prove that.

This is when I realized the importance of lip balms. These things are a godsend. Over the past 6 months I've tried four brands of these pucker lubes and here's a rundown of my hunt.


Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm (Beauty Bar)- My first one is quite a splurge I suppose. At P250 a pop, this may be a little pricey for some. It's an 8.5 G little canister though as oppose to the usual 4.2 G sticks.

I like the minty smell and feel it leaves on the lips and it's also not very greasy. It doesn't stay that very long so you might want to re-apply from time to time. It comes in sticks too but I like this kind better as it is easier to carry around and also very durable.

The Body Shop Lip Care SPF 15 (The Body Shop) - Probably the only good thing about this one is the strong smell of vanilla. I got mine on sale at P199 but it originally goes for a hundred pesos more which is pretty steep for only 4.2 grams of balm thatleaves white residues on the corner of the lips. I'm not crazy about the container either. The knob, or whatever that thing you twist to let the contents out got broken way before I finish the entire stick so I had to use of my finger nails to scoop it out since then. As you can see, the print wears off easily too which makes it look like you just found it in the middle of the street or something.

Avalon Organics Soothing Lip Balm (Healthy Options) - I "discovered" this during a trip to Pampanga when I badly, badly needed to moisturize as my lips were literally bleeding with dryness.

This one is a steal at only P99, and not only that, it goes in a 7 G stick. The smell is a rich citrus scent which is great. It also does taste very orange-y but in a more subtle way and that's fine because it's not meant for eating anyway--great for kissing though.

The problem I have with this one is the consistency and the texture. It tends to be a little too greasy/shiny. I also had the same problem with the twister thing at the bottom of the container but I still love this one because I'd put it on before I sleep and I'd wake up with soft, supple lips. No really.

Thee Savannah Bee Mint Julep (Beauty Bar) - The minty 4.2 G stick sells for P199. I like the packaging but the content is quite forgettable. It's minty and it leaves the same white residue on the lips. Same thing happened to the rotating thing at the bottom.

The verdict?

I'm back to Burt's Bees because I love the soothing minty feel it leaves on the lips. Although I may have to re-apply every other minute or so, it's fine because the container looks nice and it easily fits inside the smallest pockets. I'd buy the one from Healthy Options again but I probably won't bring it around too much since it's just too bulky.

There you go. So pucker up STAT! Pout it and pout it good.

Is my life exciting or what? I think I'll sleep now.

No comments:

Post a Comment