Friday, August 05, 2011

Dogs and Waiting

'Hachi: A Dog's Story' is really more than just about a dog who didn't get the concept of his master's passing. It's a tale about loyalty, friendship and undying faith. Faith so strong it's almost crazy.

Friends raved about this movie but I didn't get to watch it until a few minutes ago on HBO. I knew it was a tearjerker but I watched it anyway thinking it can't tug at my heartstrings that hard. Well, surprise surprise! Just minutes before the credits roll up, I'm all tears with both hands cupping half of my face.


I think I know why I got so emotional. I know what it's like to wait for something that you know, no matter how you mask it, will never come. Hachiko sat there, waiting because of his unwavering faith and loyalty. The thing about faith is it's a good excuse for insanity. It's like waiting for rain in the middle of the desert. You know it's impossible but you believe in it anyway because at the end of the day, it's all you got. And somehow, one way or another, some get lucky and it does rain.

Also, this movie reminded me of our wonderful dog Skipper. But I'll reserve his story for a different entry.

literarybulimia@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment