Tuesday, April 24, 2012

At the Pool

These days when stepping out is like getting fried under the sun, there's nothing like an air-conditioned room and a nice, ice cold drink. Not wanting to increase further my already swelling electricity bill and waistline, I decided to go swimming instead. I went with my good friend, Nikki, who does laps weekly at the school pool.

J. Crew for Tretorn

It was a little embarrassing when the security guard flashed a knowing smile upon seeing the pink padlock that I got the at the nearest 7 Eleven for the locker. It didn't help that I was wearing a tank top and red shoes.

"So this is what it's like", I mentally said to myself upon entering the locker room that I thought needs renovation. I settled on the bench and took out my swim shorts from my backpack while two other guys were minding their own business. One of them, a slightly pudgy thirty-something, draped on the opposite bench with his arm covering half his face. He seemed to have dozed off shirtless with his pubes peeking out of his pants. For a moment, I thought he was cruising me.

After a quick shower, I proceeded to the pool area ready to be submerged in cold chlorine-water when security approached me. He told me I was not wearing proper swimming clothes (e.g. tight, Lycra-type trunks). This was embarrassing. Good thing the resident lifeguard let it pass after some convincing. I promised to be in appropriately skimpy attire next time.

It's funny how I felt like a fish out of water. Everyone, including Nikki, did not have any problems swimming the entire length of the pool (and back) except for myself and this boy who looked a little younger than me. When in the water, they mean business. I made sure not to get in anyone's way by swimming across anytime it's clear and even then I managed to cramp my right leg which is still a little sore up to now. Awesome.

I'm not sure if I'll be coming back--whether for the swimming or the locker room views. Maybe when I find the time and it's that hot again.

literarybulimia@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment